Dec 1 Is Deadline for Submitting Artworks
College Educators from South Georgia and North Florida Are Eligible
The submission period is now open for educators at South Georgia and North Florida colleges and universities to submit works for the 5th juried Educators as Artists exhibition at the Albany Museum of Art. The exhibition is scheduled to open on Feb 1, and the deadline for submissions is Dec 1.
“This exhibition is a spotlight for these educators,” AMA Director of Curatorial Affairs Katie Dillard said. “It gives them a unique opportunity to present their personal works outside their individual academic institutions and broaden their audiences.
“By participating in this exhibition, these artists’ works are critiqued and selected by an experienced group of their peers, rather than their students. I look forward to experiencing what these community leaders and academic mentors from our regional colleges and universities will submit for this juried exhibition.”
Educators, who may submit up to two works for consideration, should send one or more digital images of each submitted work to [email protected]. The submission period closes at 5 pm EST on Friday, Dec 1, 2023. All media are eligible.
Faculty members at Albany State University, Albany Technical College, Columbus State University, Georgia Southwestern State University, Valdosta State University, Florida State University, Florida A&M University, Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College, Andrew College, Thomas College, and Tallahassee Community College are invited to enter. Adjunct and visiting professors at these institutions are eligible to participate.
Educators will be notified of acceptance via email by Dec 15. Accepted pieces may be brought or shipped to the AMA at 311 Meadowlark Drive between Dec 19 and Jan 13 during museum operation hours.
The exhibition opens Feb 1 and continues through April 20. Jurors for the exhibition are Dr. Samantha Fields, lead art teacher for the Dougherty County School System, and printmaker and muralist Chris Johnson, a former associate professor of art and director of Fine Arts at Andrew College.
These are important dates for educators who would like to submit work for the show:
- Deadline for submissions: Friday, Dec 1, 2023, by 11:59 p.m. EST;
- Notification of acceptance: Friday, Dec 15, 2023;
- Delivery of accepted work to the museum: Tuesday, Dec 19, 2023, through Saturday, Jan 13, 2024, by 4 pm;
- Exhibition opens: Thursday, Feb 1, 2024;
- Exhibition closes: Saturday, April 20, 2024;
- Pick-up works from AMA beginning: Tuesday, April 23, 2024, 10 am–4 pm;
- Remaining works return shipped: May 13-17, 2024.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSIONS
- The artist must be an educator at a South Georgia or North Florida university or college. Adjunct and visiting professors are eligible;
- A digital image of the artwork should be submitted to [email protected] by 11:59 pm EST on Friday, Dec 1, 2023;
- The artist’s name, address, email, title(s) of work(s) submitted, medium used, overall dimensions, and contact phone number must be included in the email;
- Each image must be in JPG format with the title of the work in the JPG name;
Each entry must be for an original work of the artist;
- An artist may submit up to two entries;
- Any work submitted must be installation-ready. The AMA will not stretch any canvases or frame any works;
- Two-dimensional works may not exceed 36 inches in any direction. Three-dimensional works may not exceed 48 inches in any direction;
- All artworks/work components must be under 100 pounds each;
- If submitted work requires specific media, all media must be included. If there are special handling instructions, these must be included in the submission;
- There is no entry fee;
- Each work exhibited is at the discretion of the AMA;
- Entries must be submitted with complete information to be qualified for consideration;
- Artists will be notified via email of acceptance by Friday, Dec 15, 2023;
- Work selected for the show must be delivered to the AMA during regular business hours (10am – 5pm) between Tuesday, Dec 19, 2023 and Saturday, Jan 13, 2024;
- The artist is responsible for the delivery and pickup of the work(s). If shipping, the artist must arrange for return postage. Artists may arrive at the AMA as early as Tuesday, April 23, 2024, between 10 am–4 pm to collect their work(s). Any works not picked up will be shipped during the week of May 13-17, 2024;
- Accepted images may be posted on the AMA website (www.albanymuseum.com) and AMA social media, and may be used to accompany press releases promoting the exhibition.
- Questions should be directed to Dillard HERE.
- Land That I Love, works by Ashley Cecil, is in the Haley Gallery Sept 7, 2023-Jan 6, 2024.
- Familias, works by Ramiro Davaro-Comas, is in the East and Hodges Galleries Sept 7, 2023-Jan 6, 2024.
- Southern Visionaries: Self-Taught Artists From the AMA Permanent Collection is in the McCormack Gallery Sept 7, 2023-Jan 6, 2024.
- Escape Plan, an installation by Elinor Saragoussi, is in the West Gallery.
- The Heart of Albany Festival is 10 am-5 pm on Saturday, Nov 4, 2023, at the Albany Museum of Art. Admission is free for everyone.
ABOUT THE ALBANY MUSEUM OF ART
The Albany Museum of Art is located at 311 Meadowlark Drive in Albany, Ga., adjacent to Albany State University West Campus just off Gillionville Road. The museum is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. The Albany Museum of Art is open to the public 10 am-5 pm Tuesdays through Saturdays. Admission is free.